Monday, December 28, 2015

A Retrospective on Ruby in 2015

Progress Bar Uninstalling with the text: 2015

We've come to the end of 2015, which was a big year in Ruby. I thought it'd be a hoot to go back and look at some of the epics (major themes) of the year and the stories that comprised them. Kind of like a Agile process retrospective where I'm treating 2015 as a set of sprints and seeing how we did.

In order to play out this contrived idea all the way, I will need to define the epics. I'd say that, almost every year, Ruby has the following major areas/epics/whatever where the community needs to be productive in order to consider that sprint/year a success:

  • Improve the language
  • Grow the community
  • Keep up with the rest of the programming world

Those are the epics I've defined. In order to measure how the Ruby community did, I am going to revisit the blog posts, articles, and videos that touch on sub-themes of these epics. I am sure I'll miss some, but that's what comments are for, right?

Finally, any retrospective worth its weight in gems needs to look at what didn't work. I'll do that to round out our time today. My guess is some astute readers will have plenty to add to my list.

Continue reading %A Retrospective on Ruby in 2015%


by Glenn Goodrich via SitePoint

No comments:

Post a Comment