Monday, July 25, 2016

How Did You Get Started? A Look at the Best & Worst Web Design Tools

Recently, I got a blast from the past when I read that Adobe's Dreamweaver is making a comeback. I was a regular Dreamweaver user in my time, but since moving on (when I made the switch to Linux) I had more or less forgotten about its existence. This made me curious as to which other web authoring tools I have used throughout my career, so I decided to take a look.

A quick rummage in my bookshelf produced this gem — Frontpage 2000 Made Simple. Frontpage (now discontinued) was an editor by Microsoft and the tool I used to create my first ever web page. Its WYSIWYG approach made it appealing to novices (and in those days, most people were novices), as did its tight integration with Microsoft's range of Office products. Unfortunately, it produced very messy and invalid code, with pages tending to be optimized for Internet Explorer. As soon as I realized that I was serious about web development, I knew it was time to move on.

Continue reading %How Did You Get Started? A Look at the Best & Worst Web Design Tools%


by James Hibbard via SitePoint

No comments:

Post a Comment